This page contains resources for you to help you through the process of creating your site-specific dance. The first step is to subscribe to our Newsletter as a Choreographer or a Site Leader. Then please register your location with the Event Site Registration Form (available on September 2020)
About our June event
We understand these are difficult times for organizing a site-specific dance with a group of dancers due to the pandemic. We are currently reviewing the guidelines for our 2021 event. Please be sure to visit us again in a few months to check for updates. The following guidelines are from our previous global event in 2019:
The Event Structure
Each location would produce a 4-part site-specific performance; the first two parts local and latter two global:
- Section I. Ritual: An opening ceremony specific to each site.
- Section II. Local Dance: It is open to what you want as a choreographer. You can use locally-based music, with the theme about local water issues.
- Section III. Global Dance: Simultaneous choreography (movement choir) done by all the performers worldwide to the same piece of music, connecting participants and audience globally. Watch the video
- Section IV. Participatory Dance: Audience participation in a very simple movement sequence. Some sites will teach the moves right during this Finale, while at other sites the audience will have learned prior to performance. Download the music here.
- Include actions: Take on the issues needed in your community, including politics. Past models have included petitions, call to action, causes, etc.
- Partner up: work with environmentally related organizations for speakers and taking collections or helping charities related to water: charity:water, http://www.theglobalfund.org, etc. We can help you to find the right match!
- Include Movement Choirs: The idea is to have a big group of people dancing. If you want some ideas about how develop your own site specific performance please read this Modern Day Movement Choirs Document.
- Embody Water: At some point, everyone becomes water, river, stream, ocean, puddle. Moving as one mind/body has potency. Working on consciousness and action is important.
- Involve others: Consider programming Section II with groups that will participate in section III. Section I could be also participatory and can involve kids and seniors.
Music and Videos for Sections III and IV
Agreement: By downloading GWD music, I agree that it will be used specifically for our Global Water Dances Project, and not for other performances or purposes.
Section III. The Global Dance
- Section III Instructional video (2019).
Section IV. Participatory Dance
- Section IV: 4 minute clip mp3 – Listen to music and download
- Section IV full length mp3 – Listen to music and download (for a longer version, if audience section might go longer)
- Please use these postcard options as one side of your publicity postcard, with information about your event on the opposite side.
- GWD/LIMS letterhead
- GWD Logo Vertical
- GWD Logo Horizontal
- LIMS Logo
- GWD 2019 Press Release
- GWD 2019 Local Press Release Template English Version New!
- GLOBAL WATER DANCES, Dancing for safe water everywhere (Powerpoint presentation in PDF format)